Copyright © All rights Reserved. Young Entrepreneurship Scheme.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What is YES about?
A: The Young Entrepreneurship Scheme (YES) is Fijian Government initiative targeting the development of young entrepreneurs with unique or innovative business ideas.
Financial support in the form of Government Grants of up to $30,000 and mentorship will be provided to successful applicants.
- Q: What are the requirements?
A: In order to qualify for the YES, you must be Fijian citizen between the ages of 18 and 40 years and have an innovative or unique business idea.
- Q: What does innovation mean for YES?
A: YES will consider your business proposal if you can show how it is innovative. By innovation, YES is looking for ideas in line with the following aspects:
- Developing a product, service or process that is new or unique, that is, something no one is already doing
- An existing product, service or process that has been improved in a substantial manner to realise untapped value that is useful and undiscovered previously
- Identifying a gap in the market and coming up with a unique solution through a product, service or process
- Q: When does this Scheme close?
A: There is currently no closing date as YES is an on-going initiative.
- Q: Do I have to have a tertiary education in order to qualify?
A: Whilst YES strongly encourages Fijians to finish school and get tertiary education, it is open to all Fijians and does not have any educational requirements.
- Q: I am currently studying? Can I still apply for YES?
A: Studying and starting a business at the same time can be challenging. Provided you have the determination and are able to prioritise, you can do both. If you think studying whilst pursing a business may be difficult, you can focus on finishing school and attend workshops and training programmes provided by YES in the meantime.
Adding something new to your business to fill an untapped customer need or to create a need, ultimately building a new market.
- Q: What is YES not intended for?
A: Among others, YES will not consider applications that do not show an innovative nature (e.g. a radio taxi company). In addition, YES will not consider funding requests to purchase land or purely operational costs (e.g. utility bills).